Tuesday 3 September 2013

Review | The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaid



Before I start this review, I have to warn you: I don’t have a lot to say about this book. It just wasn’t a fit for me.

The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Mermaids by Ammi-Joan Paquette is a cute little story, but it left me very disappointed. 

This story takes you out to the beach, and tells you a lot about mermaids and how to find clues to track them. But kids, if you go to the shore on a busy day, then I’m sorry to say you will not find them :( 

“I wonder what treasure the sand dollars might buy at the market.”

I cannot deny that this idea was really well thought of. I know kids – girls especially – will love it and will be really eager for the summer time so they can go to the beach and try to find the little magical sea-creatures. 

“Look at all these friendly crabs skittering around! They must be the clean-up crew.”

I didn’t particularly like the mix of drawings and real pictures. That was really a turn off for me. Marie Letourneau is a great artist, and I love her style. I think the book would have been a lot better if she had drawn all of the illustrations. A young child would be much more attracted to a book full of artworks than a book with actual pictures. 

That said, I would recommend this book. Even though the illustration part was a deal breaker for me, I did enjoy the story. 

My rating:  

*This book was sent to me by NetGalley in exchanged for an honest review (book ISBN: 1933718595)


No comments:

Post a Comment